International Air Freight Documentation

There are customs to follow when looking to ship something via international air freight. Such shipping requires specific types of documentation. Included in this post is information on the some of the most common customs documents required for international shipping.

Commercial Invoice

DocumentsA Commercial Invoice basically is a statement by the seller to the buyer of the goods being shipped that serves as a full record of the business transaction. It is one of the main documents used in the collection process and is primarily the document that customs officials use to control and validate goods. It also details what the content consists of and is required to identify the shipment. All information included in the commercial invoice must comply with the entry requirements of the particular country to which it is being shipped to.

Certificate of Origin

The Certificate of Origin documentation serves to verify the country in which the shipment was produced.

The requirement for customs paperwork is dependent upon the destination country of the shipment and the product being exported. Some countries have tight restrictions on imports from certain countries, while many countries limit the amount of goods that can be imported. Other countries restrict imports in favor of goods produced from within.

For products is verified as having been manufactured in North America, you will need the NAFTA Certificate of Origin for shipments going to Canada and Mexico. For specifics on the NAFTA Rules of Origin, find out more information by the North American trade solutions.

Electronic Export Information

airplaneElectronic Export Information, or EEI, was previously known as the Shipper’s Export Declaration. It is used to gather official U.S. export records and to enforce U.S. export laws. EEI filing records are required by law to be kept for up to five years after the date of export.

The EEI is required when shipments are sent from the United States, Puerto Rico or the US Virgin Islands to foreign countries; from the US and Puerto Rico; and from the US or Puerto Rico to the Us virgin Islands.

The EEI is not required for those goods which are shipped from the United State to Canada, with the exception of products that are subject to ITAR. Such goods will require an export license or permit. Shipments from US to US territories, such as American Samoa and Guam, also don’t require the EEI.

Leave a Comment