Moving Tips

Some Homework

You need to do your homework if you planning an international move. What your requirements are going to be will depend on the country where you are going to relocate. Every country has specific requirements that involve the shipment of furniture, pets and even your own personal documentation.

Customs Requirements

Contact I Love Moving for the required  paperwork to receive clearance from customs. In most instances you will need a visa/passport, birth certificate, a certificate of immigration and a notice regarding any delivery of furniture and other items.

Also needed are papers that list your shipping contents (and their value); a contract of tenancy; title to any new home; proof of exemptions for tax purposes and receipts covering any new furniture/appliance purchases.

You will need to notify customs if you plan to bring any

  • Alcohol
  • Firearm
  • Plants
  • Seeds

Before you attempt to bring any questionable items or pets into another country always check beforehand. Find out about the country’s customs, protocol and regulations. Also ask if any items or prohibited before you pack your luggage and boxes. This will ensure a smooth and uneventful trip.

Visas and Passports

  • There are passports available for both adults and minors. Please remember to allow 6-10 weeks for the passport to be mailed to you. There may be times when the waiting period is even longer. Expedited passports can often be arranged.
  • Government workers, contractors and translators can apply for specific visas.
  • Visas are available for individuals who are being sponsored by a group, relatives or family.
  • Spouses who are married to citizens of other countries can also apply for a visa.
  • Children being adopted by foreign born parents will need to have an approved visa.
  • Employment and Investor visas may be required on behalf of some individuals.

Personal Documentation

In addition to visas and passports you should have another form of ID when you travel or move abroad. You will also need your vaccination record and and letters pertaining to employer/employment available. In almost all situations these documents will be checked before you can clear the customs counter.

Keep your birth certificate, health insurance information and marriage certificate close at hand. You will also need to take your current driver’s license with you.

Packing Tips

  • It is best to keep small valuables, money, jewelry and personal documents with you as you make an international move. Do not pack these items in boxes that you are planning to have shipped to a new address.
  • Pack fragile items in bubble wrap or find other material that will serve as cushions.
  • Do not fill the boxes to the top as this could result in the box splitting or tearing.
  • Begin packing several weeks prior to the moving date.
  • Heavy items should be placed in smaller, sturdier boxes.
  • Very large items or unnecessary items can be placed in long-term storage facilities.
  • Any box that is too heavy for you to lift may be too heavy to ship safely.


Check to see what type of entry requirements pertain to your pets. There are places where an animal will be prohibited from entering the country. Other countries may make your pet undergo an extensive quarantine period.

Your pet must have paperwork completed by a licensed vet and all appropriate vaccinations must be up to date.

Storage Facility

If you are planning a temporary or short term move it may be a good idea to consider placing your furniture and appliances in a storage facility. There are facilities with climate-control that you can use to store furnishings, artwork and other important items.
Having your items in storage will keep them safe and secure until you return.